Purchasing a holiday home in Denmark

Present Danish legislation does not permit the purchase of a holiday home (secondary dwelling) with-out at permit, unless you are already residing in Denmark or have been residing in Denmark for a period of at least 5 years. If you do not fulfil these requirements, you must apply for the permission of the Danish Ministry of Jus-tice (irrespective of your nationality).

Purchasing a holiday home in Denmark

In practice, permission is granted only to applicants who have special ties to Denmark, such as e.g.:

  • Previous periods of residence in Denmark
  • Special family ties to Denmark and
  • Special linguistic or cultural ties to Denmark.

The rules relating to acquisitions within families are somewhat relaxed; however, permission for such acquisitions must still be applied for.

The current practice of the Ministry of Justice is to grant permission for the purchase of only one secondary dwelling (holiday home).

Applying for permission to purchase a holiday home

When applying for permission to purchase a holiday home, you may use the application form of the Ministry of Justice.

In your application, you must provide information on previous holidays spent in Denmark as well as provide information on other ties to the country. You must be able to document this information where relevant, e.g. by providing the name and contact information of a Danish reference, who may confirm the information provided or by enclosing copies of travel documents or similar documentary evidence.

You should expect the processing of your application to take approximately 8 to 10 weeks, once the Ministry of Justice has receipt of all the information required to process your application.

Danish nationals not residing in Denmark are also governed by the rules and will have to apply for permission if they have not resided in Denmark for a period of at least 5 years.

For more information on purchasing a secondary dwelling, please visit the home page of the Ministry of Justice.

Indsender formularen...

Do you need legal counselling?