Employment and labour law

As a businessperson in Denmark, you will have to familiarise yourself with Danish employment law, if you find yourself in a position where you will be taking on employees or have already employed staff for your business.

Employment law

As an employer in Denmark, it is your responsibility to ensure that the contracts of employment of your respective employees are correctly set out and comply with the provisions of current legislation. If a dispute arises between an employer and an employee, an erroneously drafted contract of employment may prove a costly affair to you – the employer.

Infringing the Danish Consolidation Act on the Employer’s Obligation to Inform the Employee of the Conditions Applicable to the Employment Relationship means that the employer is liable to pay the employee an appreciable compensation. Thus, seeking expert advice on the drafting of employment contracts is particularly important, so that you may later avoid disputes arising on pay and other employment conditions.

Moreover, an employer benefits from having set out a written employee handbook, including specific HR policies. This typically regulates hard compensation issues such as on travel, but also “soft” policies on say use of company mail, internet etc. These soft policies particularly important when it comes to your ability to manage your workforce. Contact one of our lawyers for further information.

If one of your employees falls sick or if you are uncertain as to whether or not you comply with the provisions of the Danish Holiday Act, you are well-advised to contact one of our lawyers so as to avoid any costly actions for compensation.

Similarly, if you need to terminate the employment relationship with one of your employees. In this situation, you need to be certain that you comply with the Danish provisions and regulations governing the termination of employment. For example, pursuant to the Danish Consolidation Act on Employers’ and Salaried Employees’ Legal Relationship, certain provisions apply to salaried employees. Contact us for advice.

Indsender formularen...

Do you need legal counselling?